Hi,
I am troubleshooting recurring BSODs on my desktop PC. The issue persisted even after fully formatting the Windows system drive and performing a clean Windows 11 reinstall.
System hardware:
- Intel Core i7-9700K
- ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming motherboard
NVIDIA RTX 2080
32 GB RAM, 4 x 8 GB
Windows 11
The main recurring BSOD has been:
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
The WinDbg analysis repeatedly shows:
Arg1: 0000000000000003
Meaning: A LIST_ENTRY has been corrupted / double remove
Failure bucket: 0x139_3_CORRUPT_LIST_ENTRY_nt!KiFastFailDispatch
Failure hash: {3aede96a-54dd-40d6-d4cb-2a161a843851}
Process name: System
Stack repeatedly contains ETW / tracing-related functions such as:
nt!EtwpTraceThreadRundownWithStack
nt!EtwpThreadEnumCallback
nt!PsEnumProcessThreads
nt!EtwpKernelTraceRundown
nt!NtTraceControl
The same KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE / CORRUPT_LIST_ENTRY signature occurred before and after the clean Windows reinstall.
Originally, the crashes seemed to happen mostly when the League of Legends client was open or when Vanguard(kernel level anti-cheat) was active. Later, GTA V caused an immediate BSOD when BattlEye(also kernel level anti-cheat) was loading. One dump from that crash showed:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
with:
IMAGE_NAME: BEDaisy.sys
MODULE_NAME: BEDaisy
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: AV_BEDaisy!unknown_function
After the clean Windows 11 reinstall, the system initially seemed stable, but then today, about a month and a half after I did the clean install, Factorio triggered another BSOD with the original KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139) / CORRUPT_LIST_ENTRY signature. Factorio does not use Vanguard or BattlEye, so the issue no longer appears to be limited to anti-cheat software.
Other observations:
- Before reinstalling Windows, I had audio issues where audio/video playback could become slow or distorted until I toggled the Windows “sound enhancements” setting either on/off depending on what it was set to.
- I use a JBL wireless headset for gaming and Focusrite audio interface to drive a set of speakers, and record guitar.
My motherboard does not have built-in Bluetooth.
After reinstalling Windows, I reinstalled the JBL headset drivers/software.
CBS/SFC logs showed repaired Bluetooth-related driver files:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\BthA2dp.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\BthHfEnum.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\bthmodem.sys
The CBS log also showed many “CSI FileFlags” corruptions, but these appeared to be repaired.
SFC later reported no integrity violations.
MemTest86 was run and found no RAM errors.
chkdsk C: /scan found no problems.
CrystalDiskInfo reports the C: drive at 100% health.
BIOS was updated.
Intel MEI and Intel chipset drivers were installed.
NVIDIA GPU drivers were reinstalled/updated.
XMP is not currently being relied on as an explanation; RAM has been running at default/Auto speeds.
I am trying to determine whether this is likely caused by:
a kernel driver conflict,
- Windows Bluetooth/audio stack issue.
- motherboard/CPU/RAM memory subsystem instability.
- GPU/PCIe issue.
- Failing hardware.
The main concern is that the same KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139) / CORRUPT_LIST_ENTRY failure bucket and hash returned even after a full clean Windows reinstall.