I can't reactivate Windows servers are down

Henrik Josephsen 0 Omdømmepoint
2026-04-29T15:43:55.0466667+00:00

I have upgraded my HW in order to install windows 11. initially I (re)installed win10. When I tried to reactivate my windows (using troubleshoot > I changed hardware on this device recently) I got the message: "We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't available right now. Wait for a few minutes or try adding your Microsoft account again"

I have tried for several days with the same answer.

To day Windows 10 did upgrade by itself to windows 11. Same problem.

Windows til hjemmet | Windows 11 | Licensering og aktivering
0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer

1 svar

Sortér efter: Meget nyttig
  1. Emma1-N 13,320 Omdømmepoint Eksternt Microsoft-personale Redaktør
    2026-04-30T01:16:48.23+00:00

    Please note that this is Danish Q&A Forum, any threads should be posted in Danish. However, I will still provide an answer on English based on your initial response.  If you want me to post in Danish, please let me know.  


    Welcome Henrik Josephsen,

    I understand how frustrating it can be when you are unable to reactivate Windows after upgrading your hardware and you are receiving a message that the activation servers are unavailable, even after upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11. 

    To make sure we are looking at the correct scenario, I would like to ask a couple of quick questions first: 

    • Are you signed in using a personal Microsoft account or a work or school account on this device? 
    • Was your Windows license originally activated using a digital license linked to your Microsoft account, or with a product key? 

    In the meantime, you can try the steps below first to see is the issue is resolved:  

    Step 1: Sign in to the device using the Microsoft account that was previously used to activate Windows 

    Step 2: Go to Settings > Accounts > Your info > and confirm the account shows as a Microsoft account and not a local account 

    Step 3: Go to Settings > System > Activation > Activation troubleshooter 

    • When prompted, select I changed hardware on this device recently 
    • Choose the current device from the list and select Activate 

    Step 4: Temporarily disable any VPN or third‑party firewall and try activation again 

    Step 5: Sign out of Windows, restart the device, then sign back in and retry activation 

    I hope this information helps resolve your issue. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me again in this thread. 


    P.S: If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".      

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Var dette svar nyttigt?


Dit svar

Svar kan markeres som "Accepteret" af spørgsmålsforfatteren og "Anbefalet" af redaktører, hvilket hjælper brugerne med at vide, at svaret løste forfatterens problem.