How do I remove organizations I am no longer a part of in MS Teams

Niels 20 Omdømmepoint
2026-01-07T09:53:59.49+00:00

I am a member of my company's organization on Teams, and I regularly collaborate with external organizations. To do so, I am invited to external organization on Teams for the duration of our collaboration.

Once the collaboration is over, I access my account settings in my browser, and I leave the organization. Hereafter, the organization does not show up in my browser version.

However, in the desktop application, the organization is not fully removed. Instead, the organization name vanishes, and a warning-signal appears. I cannot interfer with the area whatsoever.

This issue has no practical implication, but it annoys me that this list of blank spaces grows longer after each external collaboration.

I have tried to log out and log in again, and I have tried to update MS Teams with no success.

See attached photo for reference

Skærmbillede 2026-01-07 104419

What can I do to get rid of this?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams til virksomheder | Tilmeld dig, og log på | Andet
0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer

Svar accepteret af spørgsmålets forfatter
Phoebe-N 10,690 Omdømmepoint Eksternt Microsoft-personale Redaktør
2026-01-07T14:33:48.5733333+00:00

While your query was submitted under the Danish regional settings, but the content is written in English, to ensure clarity, I will provide my response in English. If you would prefer to receive the information in Danish instead, please let me know and I will gladly accommodate that preference.


Hi @Niels

Welcome to Q&A Community! 

Thank you for the detailed description and the screenshot. Based on your report, the entries with warning icons are residual records of external tenants that remain in the Microsoft Teams desktop client after you have left those organizations in the browser. This is typically caused by cached tenant and authentication data stored locally by the Teams desktop app and related Microsoft sign‑in components. 

Below is a structured remediation plan you can follow. Please proceed in the order presented. 

Step 1. Confirm you have left the external organizations 

  1. Open a private browser window. 
  2. Go to https://myaccount.microsoft.com/organizations. 
  3. For each external organization that you no longer need, choose Leave organization and confirm. 
  4. If the organization does not appear, it may already be removed or your guest account may have been disabled in that tenant. In that case, continue with the next steps. 

Step 2. Sign out of Teams and close Office apps 

  1. In Teams desktop, select your profile and choose Sign out. 
  2. Quit Teams so it is not running in the background. 
  3. Close Outlook and any other Office applications. 

Step 3. Clear Teams cache 

This usually removes the “ghost” organizations. For more detailed steps on this, kindly check this article: Clear the Teams client cache - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn 

Step 4. Clear Microsoft sign‑in caches 

On Windows, residual sign‑in data can reintroduce old organizations into the account switcher. Clearing these local stores helps remove stale references. 

  1. Open Credential Manager, then, choose Windows Credentials and remove entries related to Microsoft Teams, Office, and AAD Broker if present. 
  2. Reboot the device. 

Step 5. Disconnect any Work or School accounts in Windows 

  1. Open Settings, Accounts, Access work or school. 
  2. If any retired external organization connection is listed, select it and choose Disconnect. 

 

Please try these steps and let me know if the issue persists. I look forward to your response. 


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".   

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Var dette svar nyttigt?

1 person fandt dette svar nyttigt.

0 ekstra svar

Sortér efter: Meget nyttig

Dit svar

Svar kan markeres som "Accepteret" af spørgsmålsforfatteren og "Anbefalet" af redaktører, hvilket hjælper brugerne med at vide, at svaret løste forfatterens problem.