Word keeps crashing: error Exception: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION

Oskar Buhl 0 Omdømmepoint
2025-08-25T14:36:59.1+00:00

My Word application crashes as soon as it opens. Then the report app pops up and says:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION

ExceptionEnumString: 2

Exception Code: 0x00000001 (0x0000000000000000)

Date/Time: 2025-08-25 14:15:27 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft Word

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word

Application Signature: MSWD

Application Bitness: x64

Application Version: 16.100.0.25081015

Crashed Module Name: unknown

Crashed Module Version: 16.100.0.250810

Crashed Module Offset: unknown

Blame Module Name: mso40ui

Blame Module Version: 16.100.25081015

UnsymbolicatedChecksum: 85EF10B4A69A8A8661BB672D6ECF026F

Blame Module Offset: 0x00000000000f8611

StackHash: ceba8b458aec0117_2_bk_oom

Application LCID: 1030

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0406

Build Type: Release

Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_0000000308ca33d0

Crashed thread: 41

(The report is endless, but i copied the top bit)

I've already followed this guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/uninstall-office-for-mac-eefa1199-5b58-43af-8a3d-b73dc1a8cae3

, and deleted everything related to office and microsoft. I've reinstalled office 365 again, and Word is still crashing. On the first try, it let me select which account to use, as soon as I logged in it crashed, and has done since when I try to open the app.

What can I do? I have read other threads concerning same error, and done the steps that Microsoft support suggested, but that didn't help either, so please don't refer me to past threads.

Microsoft 365 og Office | Word | Til hjemmet | MacOS
0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer

1 svar

Sortér efter: Meget nyttig
  1. IGYQ 22,065 Omdømmepoint Uafhængig rådgiver
    2025-08-25T16:03:36.99+00:00

    Hi!

    We can perform a test to see where the problem is originating from. Based on the details this is a MAC system that you have. You need to Start Word in Safe Mode (Opening without preferences).

    Open Terminal and run:

    /Applications/Microsoft\ Word.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft\ Word -safe

    If it opens normally, the problem is definitely corrupted preferences or add-ins.

    Another option as well is to try installing an older Office build. Office 16.100 is brand new (August 2025) and there are already reports of stability issues with mso40ui.

    You can temporarily downgrade to the previous stable build (16.99.2): (testing purposes)

    Let me know once you've completed these steps so we can narrow down where the problem is originating from.

    Var dette svar nyttigt?

    0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer

Dit svar

Svar kan markeres som "Accepteret" af spørgsmålsforfatteren og "Anbefalet" af redaktører, hvilket hjælper brugerne med at vide, at svaret løste forfatterens problem.