[SOLVED] Printer can only scan

Anonym
2021-07-27T13:31:38+00:00

My printer only registers the scanning functionality. So it scans normally, but won't register as a printer.

I tried downloading Canon drivers and software, but it didn't help - after it connects to the printer under the installation process nothing happens for a while and the it disconnects by itself. I had the same problem with my previous computer, and solved it with the following:

"A clean removal and reinstall of the driver helps. Do the following:

  1. Remove the "printer" from the default "Devices and Printers" control panel view by right-clicking it and selecting "Remove device".
  2. Type Win+R, and enter printermanagement.msc, press Enter.
  3. In the new window, navigate to "Print Servers" > "[Your PC Name] (local)" > "Drivers" on the left side.
  4. In the list in the center part of the window, right-click and choose "Delete" for any driver sounding similar to the printer model you had installed.
  5. If you have a networked printer, you may also wanna go to "Ports" in the tree view on the left, and delete the IP-based port Windows created for it in the middle list aswell.
  6. Go back to the "Devices and Printers" control panel view, and click "Add a printer" in the command bar.
  7. Wait for it to find your printer, and then let Windows install it normally by clicking "Next". This time it should also detect the printer part of your - well - printer. Make sure to not cancel the dialog prematurely and wait for the progress bars to run full nicely."

But with my new computer I can't open printmanagement.msc. I get the error message:

"Windows cannot find 'printmanagement.msc'. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again."

I've tried to add the Print Management Console feature, but couldn't find it. I looked under Settings -> Apps and Features -> Manage optional features and Add a feature. But it was nowhere on any lists. I also looked at the list under "Turn windows features on and off", but couldn't find it there either.

So then I tried uninstalling and installing it from commandprompt with these commands:

 dism /Online /Remove-Capability /CapabilityName:Print.Management.Console~~~~0.0.1.0

 dism /Online /add-Capability /CapabilityName:Print.Management.Console~~~~0.0.1.0

But when I check with:

 dism /Online /get-capabilityinfo /capabilityname:Print.Management.Console~~~~0.0.1.0

... it looks like below, except the state is "Staged" instead of "Installed".

Capability Identity : Print.Management.Console~~~~0.0.1.0
Name : Print.Management.Console
State : Installed
Display Name : Print Management Console
Description : Enables management of printers, printer drivers and printer servers.
Download Size : 402.92 KB
Install Size : 2.50 MB

At this point, though, I can see under Manage optional features, that the Print Management Console has been uninstalled and installed, but I still can't find it with printmanagement.msc. I tried restarting the computer, but it didn't help.

So how do I get my printer to print, when the software (from Canon) won't install and I can't find (or install) printmanagement.msc?

OS: Windows 10

Printer: Canon Pixma MG2550S

Windows til hjemmet | Andet | Enheder og drivere

Låst spørgsmål. Dette spørgsmål blev migreret fra Microsoft Support-community'et. Du kan stemme om, hvorvidt det er nyttigt, men du kan ikke tilføje kommentarer eller svar eller følge spørgsmålet.

0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer

4 svar

Sortér efter: Meget nyttig
  1. Anonym
    2021-08-02T13:36:42+00:00

    I solved it by downloading and installing a different driver. Apparently when you go to Canons website and look up drivers for your machine, the 'recommended' driver isn't necessarily the right one. Canon told me it was the one at the bottom of the driver list. But now it works.

    Thank you for your help anyway K0MB!

    Var dette svar nyttigt?

    1 person fandt dette svar nyttigt.
    0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer
  2. Anonym
    2021-07-29T16:11:41+00:00

    What if you try the standard way?

    Uninstall the device and the driver:

    -Go to "Device Manager" by right-clicking on the Windows start button and select " device manager ".

    -Search for the printer device in the list.

    -Right click on the device- > Properties -> Drivers -> Uninstall Device and in the next window tick "Delete the driver software".

    Uninstall any software related to the device.

    -Go to "Add or Remove Programs" and uninstall any software for your printer.

    To open " Add of Remove Programs " window, press Windows+r keys and type: appwiz.cpl

    -Disconnect the USB cable and turn the printer off

    -Then restart windows.

    And go download the latest drivers available on their website.

    -Connect the USB cable and turn on the device.

    Var dette svar nyttigt?

    0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer
  3. Anonym
    2021-07-29T10:36:38+00:00

    Thank you for the answer.

    Yes it's Home Edition, so that makes sense why printmanagement isn't available.

    I can't seem to find a way to do a similar manipulation the place you've suggested.

    Var dette svar nyttigt?

    0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer
  4. Anonym
    2021-07-27T16:42:52+00:00

    Hello, my name is Marco and I am an Independent Advisor. I will do my best to help you.

    I assume you have Windows 10 home edition? Because Print Management is not available in the Home edition of Windows.

    However, you can find an alternative Control Panel applet that can help manage the printers connected to your computer. Go to control panel > devices and printers... In the Devices and Printers window, you can see the connected printers, scanners, Bluetooth and other external devices.

    Can you do the same manipulation this way?

    Var dette svar nyttigt?

    0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer