Windows 11 lock screen - can't input PIN or restart

Jonia Dabač 0 Reputační body
2025-08-14T17:43:06.07+00:00

I turned my laptop on normally. I pressed the space key to get to the PIN input screen. I tried to input my PIN, but nothing happens.

I tried it more times to get sure - nope, the keyboard seems to not work (althrough I managed to use space key before). USB mouse was working fine, I was even capable of click on the PIN field and it gain focus. But with focus I still culdn't enter the PIN!

First idea was to use onscreen keyboard, so I lauched it from accesibility menu. But even through it was responding to my mouse, no input went to the PIN field. I tried it more times but had no luck.

Then I decided to restart laptop to see if it will help. But the power menu didn't appear. The power menu button was responding to mouse, but clicking on it does nothing. Odd, because the Acessibility and the Wireless buttons were working normally.

I tried to hard restart my laptop once and holded the power button on keyboard for a while. The screen just flashes black and nothing else happens, so I decided not to try it anymore.

I was looking for something to get out of this lock screen. So I clicked the Forgot password? link under the PIN field. There was black screen with rotating dots and "just a while" text for a while. Then my lock screen appeared again, but has different background and it was like zoomed in (everything was bigger) just how I know it from Something happened and your PIN isn't available thing (which I'd also like to know why is happening). I entered PIN (horray!) and get to my desktop.

Why this happened?

But this story has a sequel...

Few minutes after a managed to unlock my laptop, the screen appeared to broke. First like seventh of the screen get duplicated all way down , while other symtoms of broken or partly-unpugged screens also appeared (like dithering and noise all over).

I didn't take screenshot, because I panicked a little from the fact that the screen is broken. And the symptoms really indicate hardware broke, not easy to fix.

Firstly, I locked laptop by WIN+L shortcut to see if this artifacts change. The lock screen was much more normally looking, but still there was little shutter and something like interlacing (odd lines of pixels were shifted a little).

So I restarted laptop (I managed to do that quite easily, thank goodness) hoping that it will help. Well it helped and now I'm writing this on that laptop.

I'd really like to know why this happened and it these issues were related.

Microsoft is lucky that none of Windows issues I experienced so far led to data loss - yet. So I backup regularly.

Windows pro domácnosti | Windows 11 | Účty, profily a přihlášení
Počet komentářů: 0 Žádné komentáře

1 odpověď

Seřadit podle: Nejužitečnější
  1. Miroslav Pragl 78,776 Reputační body Dobrovolný moderátor
    2025-08-14T18:03:43.5133333+00:00

    Ahoj Jonia,

    na pocitaci bys mela mit aspon 2 ucty, z nich aspon 2 administratorske a z nich aspon 1 mistni. Mas? Mej!

    PIN a dalsi Win Hello funkce zavisi na TPM. Nestalo se neco s jeho konfiguraci - napr. update BIOSu nebo HW problem?

    MP

    Byla tato odpověď užitečná?

    Počet komentářů: 0 Žádné komentáře

Vaše odpověď

Odpovědi můžou být autorem otázky označeny jako „Přijaté“ a moderátory jako „Doporučené“, což uživatelům pomůže zjistit, že odpověď vyřešila problém autora.