Word Document Disapeared after renaming it.

Kc Saamba 1 Reputation point
2022-05-26T05:26:00.91+00:00

I an doing an assignment for my UNI. i completed it last night and just as i renamed it. previously it was question and answer case study 1.. renamed it to question and answer case study 1 and 2. then the document disappeared.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | Windows

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kathleen M 5 Reputation points
    2023-03-22T00:01:42.89+00:00

    I was using Microsoft Word on my iPad today to write an essay and when I was done I changed the name of the file and the contents reverted to my original notes. I immediately started to pray and, after a few minutes, I had an idea. I changed the file name back to the original title and the contents reverted to my finished essay!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. John Korchok 236.4K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-05-26T20:49:31.45+00:00

    Was the document open in Word when you renamed it? If so, it's gone. Always use File>Save As, or close the file and then rename it.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Emily Hua-MSFT 27,916 Reputation points
    2022-05-26T07:55:59.38+00:00

    Hi @Kc Saamba

    Welcome to Q&A forum ~

    Can you tell us where does the documents stored?
    Please Check the Windows Recycle Bin and if it is stored on OneDrive, I suggest you also check the Recycle Bin of OneDrive.

    Besides, if there is any security software on your computer, it's recommended to see if the document is blocked.

    Then please try following steps:

    • Search the file in Recent list in Word.
    • Go to Word > File > Save, if you have enabled AutoRecover feature, you can locate to AutoRecover file location, check whether there is any .asd file.
    • Here is an article "How to recover unsaved Word documents" you can have a check, the documentation also introduces some other methods, you can try them.

    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".
    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.


    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.