I'm having trouble removing a virus/malware...can you help me?

Hugh Gibney 20 Reputation points
2025-09-14T23:00:15.9666667+00:00

My Windows 11 security says, "quick scan due". The scan appears to be running, but I'm not sure. Never ends or shows any results. How do I remove the virus/malware/threat?

My HP laptop came with Windows 11 Home installed. I have Microsoft 365 for one year. I'm told Defender comes with all this.

I know NOTHING about installing/activating Apps.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Jeronimo Fuerte 46,745 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-09-14T23:41:59.1533333+00:00

Hi! Please make sure Windows Update has the latest patches, then open Windows Security > Virus & threat protection and run a Full scan, followed by a Microsoft Defender Offline scan (this restarts your PC and removes stubborn threats before Windows loads).

Afterward, check Protection history and remove/quarantine anything found. For a second opinion, run the Microsoft Safety Scanner (MSERT) download the 64-bit version, run a Full scan, and let it undo any malicious changes; if malware blocks the download, use another clean PC to put MSERT on a USB drive and run it from there.

If the system still behaves oddly, consider Reset this PC (keep files or remove everything).

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Hugh Gibney 20 Reputation points
    2025-09-17T05:24:20.84+00:00

    Problem resolved with your help. ...Took about anhourj

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.